Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)Are you looking to buy Fringe-ology: How I Tried to Explain Away the Unexplainable-And Couldn't? Here is the right place to find the great deals. we can offer discounts of up to 90% on Fringe-ology: How I Tried to Explain Away the Unexplainable-And Couldn't. Check out the link below:
>> Click Here to See Compare Prices and Get the Best Offers
Fringe-ology: How I Tried to Explain Away the Unexplainable-And Couldn't ReviewSteve Volk is a professional journalist, and that is the perspective he writes from in Fringe-ology. Although this is an intellectual quest on his part, his personally engaging style of writing pulls you in from page one.I usually take my time reading books that I enjoy, because I like to savor them like a fine wine, not wanting them to end, yet like a romantic dinner, I can't help anticipating its direction.
Fringe-ology was hard to put it down for long, so I found myself re-reading several of my favorite chapters to stretch out the experience. The introduction alone would have been worth the price of the book. It's that good.
Then there's the greater issue of the "Paranormal Taint", and the chapter on Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, or the effect that space travel has on Astronauts, lucid dreaming, the placebo effect and... I don't want to give too much away. Hint: there's more to the Paranormal Taint than you may think.
Fringe-ology has the feel and integrity of Debra Blum's Ghost Hunters: William James and the Search for Scientific Proof of Life After Death, except that Steve Volk covers a wider variety of phenomena and he approaches his subjects with a more personal touch.
He has caught a little bit of flak because at certain points the reader starts to think that Steve is about to 'give in' and pronounce his belief in a supernatural cause underlying the topics he covers, only to have him continue on and give the skeptics their legitimate day in court. At one point I started to write out a list of insights that I found worth making note of, but I abandoned that because I was enjoying the book too much to turn it into a job assignment. This is an informative mind-candy joy of a read, not a textbook.
The best metaphor that I can think of to describe Fringe-ology is that it's like reading a book length New York Times article / op-ed about the paranormal, with the honest information you would expect from a professional journalist, but with the personal engagement that you want from a novel. No axes to grind, no agenda's to fill, just pure intellectual inspiration.
I have quite a library of wide-ranging books relating to the paranormal, spirituality, science, myths and religion. If I were to start loaning them out one by one to someone unfamiliar with these topics, I would begin with Fringe-ology. It's a level headed yet exciting place to start.
Hands down, five stars. No question about it.Fringe-ology: How I Tried to Explain Away the Unexplainable-And Couldn't Overview
Want to learn more information about Fringe-ology: How I Tried to Explain Away the Unexplainable-And Couldn't?
>> Click Here to See All Customer Reviews & Ratings Now
0 comments:
Post a Comment