The Loss of Sadness: How Psychiatry Transformed Normal Sorrow into Depressive Disorder Review

The Loss of Sadness: How Psychiatry Transformed Normal Sorrow into Depressive Disorder
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
Are you looking to buy The Loss of Sadness: How Psychiatry Transformed Normal Sorrow into Depressive Disorder? Here is the right place to find the great deals. we can offer discounts of up to 90% on The Loss of Sadness: How Psychiatry Transformed Normal Sorrow into Depressive Disorder. Check out the link below:

>> Click Here to See Compare Prices and Get the Best Offers

The Loss of Sadness: How Psychiatry Transformed Normal Sorrow into Depressive Disorder ReviewTo say I enjoyed this book might be a stretch. There were parts that were laborious because it was like reading a very long journal article on the topic. My effort to get through the book were paid off by how I conceptualize two things - the role of context in classification and the art of criticism without destructive criticism. I will detail both below.
Context: The authors make it clear from the beginning that depression is inappropriately diagnosed these days. Typical behavioral responses to sadness are probably misconstrued as depression. I found that part of the thesis quite compelling. Even more compelling was the fact that the evidence seems to favor their perspective. The point is driven home by anecdotes, data, and theory. I liked the combination because it kept the reader (me) thinking throughout the book.
Criticism: Where I think the authors deserve the most praise is for their delicate and precise criticism of the DSM. They do a remarkable job of detailing the merits of clinical diagnosis while also describing the warts. Unlike most DSM critics who want to throw all classification out, they recognize the importance of mental illness types. I was reminded of Paul Meehl's critique of the antinosological critics (in "Why I don't attend case conferences") while reading this book. These authors did not fall into Meehl's trap. Instead, they offered both sides of the situation and made it clear that their omission of context did nothing to denigrate the DSM specifically. Perhaps they were cautious of the criteria and the application of DSM diagnostic criteria without considering the context and history of the patient.
If you find either point worth reading then buy this book. I plan to make all my graduate students read parts of this book for both points above.
The Loss of Sadness: How Psychiatry Transformed Normal Sorrow into Depressive Disorder Overview

Want to learn more information about The Loss of Sadness: How Psychiatry Transformed Normal Sorrow into Depressive Disorder?

>> Click Here to See All Customer Reviews & Ratings Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment